(usually one rider however can be up to two riders on request)
Adult or Child – 1 hour lesson – $120 per rider
(minimum age of child 8 years old)
If learning to ride a horse is on your bucket list, or a long-held dream, Equathon is here to make those dreams a reality.
Offering personalised private and group tuition for riders of all abilities, Equathon’s goal is to make you confident in the saddle.
Our experienced coaches are led by triple Olympian, Alex Watson, and can instruct beginners to experienced riders. We cater for general riding tuition suitable for a range of riding disciplines with emphasis on dressage and showjumping.
Our goal is to provide our students with a solid riding foundation based on universally accepted principles of riding promoted by the Australian and other leading international equestrian federations.
All lessons are held at Equathon’s horse property at Verrierdale on the Sunshine Coast. We have a purpose-built arena and horse working areas for instruction and horse training.
About Our Lessons
- Lessons are conducted throughout the week at various times to suit school, work and family hours depending on the time of year, weather and availability.
- Riding instruction includes a combination of riding in and outside of an arena.
We provide the horses and helmets. Riders are recommended to wear suitable riding attire such as long pants/jeans and boots.
Ride Easy is our patented Riding, Training, and Horse Management Program, designed by triple Olympian, Alex Watson.
Alex has more than 30 years of international horse riding experience from Olympic Games to World Cups across three continents.
The Ride Easy Program is conducted as a practical, easy to follow course over 5 x two-hour hands-on sessions (total of 10 hours), and has three related pillars of learning.
Phase One – Horse Management
The aim of the Horse Management Phase is to make students competent and safe working around horses, creating confidence in both horse and handler, and to give students a consistent basic knowledge of practical horse management skills.
Phase Two – Horse Training
The Horse Training Phase is aimed at acquiring the fundamentals of working a horse from the ground prior to mounting and riding.
During this phase, students will learn the techniques of working and training a horse to improve movement, balance, suppleness, responsiveness and the systematic elimination of real or potential problems relating to horse temperament, level of experience and confidence.
Phase Three – Horse Riding
The Horse Riding Phase is aimed at linking the ground working and horse training techniques to actual work of the horse under saddle with a consistency of aids and communication from the rider.
The riding phase is dedicated to creating harmony and control between horse and rider by systematic work to establish an independent balanced seat, effective leg aids, and responsive hands in all gaits and riding pursuits.
About This Course
- The Ride Easy Program is an excellent course for beginner riders, nervous riders, riders who have had a long break from riding, riders who have had bad experiences in the past, new or prospective horse owners and those wishing to work in the equine industry.
- Sessions are conducted individually or in small groups of up to four participants.
- Courses are generally run over five weeks (one two-hour session per week) but can be conducted as a live-in course over a weekend or number of days.
- The course is practical based and completed with an assessment of competency. Successful completion gains participants a signed and dated Ride Easy Certificate.
Sessions are $180 per person/ 2-hour lesson or $900 per Course (5 sessions) incl. GST. If entire course is paid in advance the total is $850.